Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Vegan Taco Salad

In my post for Tempeh Taco Crumbles, I promised this post would be a special taco salad recipe, and it is.

Way back in the day when I was in grade 5, I was on a 5-pin bowling team.  One of my friends, who's mom was our teacher, was also in the league.  At the end of the season the league had a potluck banquet and her mom brought this dish.  My mom asked for the recipe and it has been a family favorite ever since. Wherever you are Mrs. Walsh, thank you.

Of course, I have made it vegan which means a few changes, but it is still as good as the original. This recipe makes a large batch and doesn't keep well.  If I am making it for just hubby and I, I will divide the beans, taco crumbles, black olives, etc in half and store half the fridge overnight.  I use the refrigerated half to make a new batch the next night.  The dressing will make everything soggy so you don't want leftovers after it has been mixed.

VEGAN TACO SALAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 head Iceberg or Romaine Lettuce, coarse chopped
1 batch of Tempeh Taco Crumbles, or 2 cups vegan fiesta flavored burger crumbles of your choice
1 -14 oz can Black Olives, drained and sliced
1 cup Celery, chopped
1 - 14 oz can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
4-5 Green Onions, sliced including greens
2 C shredded vegan Cheddar (I use 1 pkg Daiya)
1 - 8 oz bottle vegan Catalina or French Dressing (I use Annie's Organic French or Woodstock)
1 pkg Corn Chips such as Fritos Original or Trader Joe's Dippers

DIRECTIONS:

**If you are making a full family sized batch use the largest mixing bowl you have.  My mom used to use her water bath canner as a large mixing bowl.  If making a half batch for two people - a large stainless steel mixing bowl works fine. Remember to half everything for the smaller batch.

1.  In the mixing bowl combine everything except for the salad dressing.  If the chips are large crush them a little in your hands.  You don't want the pieces too small though. Reserve a few chips for garnish.  Toss to mix well.

(Ready for dressing and chips)
2.  Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat.  Again, just half the bottle if making a half batch.  

3.  Divide into serving bowls or onto plates and garnish with a few whole chips and a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper if desired.  



- Bon Appetit

"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days." - Doug Larson
.

9 comments:

  1. I had just tried French dressing last week for taco salad. I've had it with thousand island dressing as well and it was good.

    No jalapeƱos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jalapeno is a great idea, but would you do chopped raw or the slices in the jar. I have a jar in the fridge too and never think to use them, they are still sealed.

      Delete
    2. I would use them from the jar. Fresh would probably overpower everything else.

      Delete
    3. I think you are right, jarred would be better. Now to just remember next time I make it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You'd let me in the new kitchen? When is moving day?

      Delete
  3. Is there such thing as a vegan cheese? I had a slice of cheese for the first time the other day and regret it. Tummy did not likey. But since it is from an animal, I am just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are quite a few brands that make it. Daiya is widely available in blocks, slices, and shreds and is also gluten and soy free. Field Roast makes a really yummy sliced one out of fermented tofu. and Follow Your Heart makes a good one too. There are also recipes for making homemade cashew cheese that can be tasty.

      Delete
    2. So, I tried the Dalya. Not so bad. I melted some on crackers for a snack and I liked it. A little salty for me, but good for a go to when I crave the cheese. Thanks!

      Delete