Sunday, March 22, 2015

Vegan - Ginger and Date Scones


Last week we were at Saturday morning coffee at Coffee Culture and when ordering our drinks Troubadour noticed they had ginger/date scones in the pastry case.  None of the pastries they bake and sell are vegan, so I told him I'd make him some for breakfast the next day.  These are my creation. They turned out pretty well.

In the cupboard I happened to have an old bag of un-crystallized candied ginger bought from Trader Joes. I like it because there is no added sugar.  (I have since learned they may contain lead so you might want to use a different brand) I used this ginger chopped in little pieces in combination with some chopped deglet noor dates.

For gluten free - use an all purpose gluten free flour blend.

GINGER AND DATE SCONES

INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups organic unbleached White Flour (you can use 1 cup white and 1 cup whole wheat) 
3 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
1/4 Cup vegan Margarine such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1/4 cup chopped Deglet Noor Dates
1/4 cup finely chopped Candied Ginger
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk (I used soy)
1 tsp Vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 450˚F and lightly grease a baking sheet.

2.  Put flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl and whisk together.  Cut in margarine with pastry blender until it resembles fine crumbles.  Stir in ginger and dates.

3.  Stir in non-dairy milk and vanilla.  If the dough is a little dry turn out onto floured surface and knead to mix. Pat into a round approximately 1 inch thick and 8 inches in diameter.  

4.  Cut the round in half and then each half into 3 pie shapes wedges.

5.  Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden brown. Let cool a bit on a wire rack then enjoy.


- Bon Appetit

" I worship scones and danishes. If I never had another meal, I wouldn't care as long as I could eat pastries and jelly doughnuts." - Gene Simmons
.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Brandy. I am going to try those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you give them a try, let me know how you like them.

      Delete
  2. I am wondering if I can replace the flour with rice flour? The margarine I can probably replace with coconut oil. Have you ever done that. The milk I can do almond or coconut. I miss scones and have been working to replace all I cannot have anymore. This looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my pumpkin scones I use coconut oil instead of margarine and they work out just fine. They are nice and light.

      It might take some experimenting but you can probably use rice flour or a mix of flours that comply with your needs.

      It just might take a bit more or less. If the mix is too wet just make drop scones instead of formed ones. They are like giant muffin tops then, but crunchy on top.

      Delete