Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Vegan Black Eyed Pea Soup

Well, since I put up a biscuit recipe last time, I figured why not another soup recipe to go with it.

Back eyed peas are popular in the southern US and considered a soul food.  Most recipes for black eyed pea soup contain several kinds of sausages, and a lot of them contain collard greens as well.

For my recipe I use a little liquid smoke to mimic sausage and leave out the greens.  Feel free to add a little spinach or whatever greens you have on hand.

Black eyed peas are a subspecies of the cowpea and are a legume rather than a pea.


VEGAN BLACK EYED PEA SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup Celery, diced
2-3 Carrots, sliced
1 Onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 can diced no sodium added Tomatoes (I used Fire Roasted)
4 cups Water
2 -3 tsps Vegetable Bouillon or 'No Beef' Bouillon
2 - 15oz cans Black Eyed Peas, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups cooked)
1 large or 2 small Potatoes, diced
3/4 cup Corn kernels, frozen works well
1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp Liquid Smoke

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Add approximately 1/4 cup of water to a large soup pot and saute celery, carrots, onion, and garlic until tender.

2.  Add tomatoes, water, bouillon, black eyed peas, potatoes, corn, herbes de provence, worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke.

3.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer for 25 minutes until all the veggies are cooked and the soup has thickened a little.

4.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.



- Bon Appetit

" Soup is a lot like family.  Each ingredient enhances the others; each batch has its own characteristics; and it needs time to simmer to reach full flavor." - Marge Kennedy
.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! I haven't made black eyed pea soup since I was a student. I remember adding mustard greens (they were on sale).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you were a student..... that wasn't too long ago. wink wink

      Delete
  2. I loves soups, every kind (except fish soups) and this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soup as well. I think I get that from my mom. I swear she could live on soup.

      Delete